Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Salad and Cobbler

It has been a relatively cool and damp summer. While not good for many crops, spring season vegetables such as lettuce and peas, have continued to deliver tender pickings into August. I am on my second harvest of radishes and peas, and the leaf lettuce has yet to bolt providing leaves which are not at all bitter.



Since I still had some fresh blueberries in the refrigerator, by request of my son, I made a cobbler this weekend. I am so glad I did - it made a perfect breakfast and dessert. 


Blueberry Cobbler

3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup cold butter
1 egg slightly beaten
4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Sift flour, baking powder and spices in large bowl. Stir in brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add egg and mix. Pat 2/3 of dough into greased 13 x 9 pan. Bake at 375 degrees for five minutes. Cool slightly. Mix blueberries with sugar and cornstarch. Spread over crust, then sprinkle remaining crust over top. Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown. Cool before cutting.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment