Tuesday, March 10, 2015

An Extra Hour of Daylight



Above, volunteers assist NOFA members with their bulk orders
Yesterday we welcomed an extra hour of daylight. I, for one, am very happy that the Energy Policy Act of 2005 added an extra month to Daylight Saving Time, making it last for 238 days of the year. Although we lost an hour between 2:00 AM and 3:00 AM, it felt like an extra hour gained. There may still be several feet of snow on the ground, but the later sunset makes me feel that spring is on its way, so I used the day to do some preparations for the garden. First, I picked up my order of  liquid kelp and St. Gabriel Organics Poison Ivy Defoliant through the NOFA-NH's spring bulk order program. I have not tried fertilizing with liquid kelp before, so this year will be an experiment. Also, I am going to try a spray on the poison ivy. It is spreading around our wood pile and into our lawn and has become more than just a nuisance. I will report later on its effectiveness.

In spite of the snow, these cows are enjoying a mild March morning
After picking up these items, I drove around some back roads, admiring some of the farms in the vicinity of Weare and Hopkinton. In addition to the extended daylight, the temperature actually climbed above freezing on Sunday, a sign that I needed to finish ordering my seeds. Ten to fifteen years ago, the options for organic and heirloom seeds was limited. Now, a quick search on the internet will bring up thousands of hits. My go-to source has been Pine Tree Garden Seeds out of New Gloucester, Maine. They have lots of organic and heirloom varieties and sell seeds in smaller packet sizes that suit the backyard gardener.  This year I discovered a family run business out of Minneapolis - Urban Garden Seeds which was created in 2013. They carry non-GMO, open-pollinated, heirloom, organic varieties. An added bonus is that the seeds come in recycled and refillable vials - what a great idea! I can't wait to plant time. Finally, I couldn't resist picking up a few packets of seeds from Agway as the artwork is almost frame-worthy. The selection at their garden center right now is fantastic and shipping is free!



At the end of the day I took the shots below. There's nothing particularly special about them, except that they were taken close to 6:30 PM! Daylight saving time may be implemented to conserve energy, but for me it provides a mental boost after a long winter and an opportunity to enjoy a little bit more of the day outside. I have no complaints.



March 9, 2015 sunset






No comments:

Post a Comment