Tuesday, April 21, 2015

An Early Spring Walk in the Woods

This past weekend, the weather was ideal for getting out for a walk. With the exception of ticks, there were no bugs. It was a little early for any wildflowers, but with the snow gone and no leaves on the trees yet, I found some interesting photo opportunities. The following is what I saw.


Not a sign of spring as these fungi have been around for a while.


I don't know what it is about rusty metal, but when I find it out in the woods, I don't look it as trash, instead I see it as a documentation of history.





This granite ledge was worth a closer look. It looks like it could almost be the remnants of an old foundation.



Guster had fun exploring the top. Below, a piece of granite resembled a giant's foot trying to break out through a crack.



Just a few weeks ago this stream was frozen. I didn't see any fish this day, but did find a few signs of awakening life.


This bright green aquatic plant stood out in the water. 

A Water Strider


Bur-reed or Tape Grass?


The tree canopy was quite thick here, which is why it was the only spot with any snow remaining. I think by next week it will all be gone. In spite of all the snow we had this winter, we have not had the typical April showers. This has been great for those who are not fans of New England mud season.

No comments:

Post a Comment