Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Wildlife on the Sugarloaf Trail

A couple weeks ago I checked off a New Hampshire "52 With A View" climb with my sons and daughter-in-law. The Sugarloaf Trail in Twin Mountain offers a lot of variety with boulders and a ladder and provides fantastic views for a relatively short hike.

Admiring the view from Middle Sugarloaf
The hike proved even more interesting as I saw my first Milk Snake.


I find snakes fascinating and was thrilled when Aaron spotted this one since the only snakes I typically see are garter snakes. This one was a little agitated when we walked by, and if I did not know that New Hampshire does not have poisonous snakes up north, I might have mistaken it for a rattlesnake. I looked it up after we got home and identified ir as a perfectly harmless Eastern Milk Snake.

At the summit there was plenty of vegetation including, Mountain Laurel, blueberries and junipers.

Juniper cones
Also at the summit I added a Wood Thrush to my birding life list.

Wood Thrush posing with a  berry
On the way down, we took the approximate .3 mile split to the ledge view of North Sugarloaf.

On ledge of North Sugarloaf
For all that it offers I would definitey recommend this hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment