Sunday, August 20, 2017

Canning Time

Update: Since I was making applesauce today, I thought I would rerun this post from September 2015.

Yes, it is that time of year when I need to make a decision regarding how to preserve the fruit, specifically the apples and pears from our backyard. If I don't want to simply provide a smorgasbord for the neighborhood deer and foxes then I need to set aside at least one weekend to focus on canning.

I have found that the easiest way to make use of an abundance of apples is by making applesauce. Simply slice unpeeled apples, simmer and run through a Food Mill, an indispensable kitchen tool which makes this process so very easy. 


Since our organic apples are anything but perfect, I first remove any brown spots on the skins and make sure I do not include any parts of the apple where pest damage has occurred. And, although the recipe says you can cook the core as well, I usually remove it since apple seeds contain cyanide. 

 Simple Applesauce
 Apples quartered to fill a large pot 3/4 full
Sugar and cinnamon to taste (I used 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon)
1 cup water or just enough to keep from sticking.
Quarter apples, treat with ascorbic acid or lemon juice in water. Once all the apples are prepared, place in a pot with the water and simmer over medium heat until tender (about 20 minutes.) Remove from heat and run apples through a food mill then return to the pot. Add sugar and cinnamon (if desired) and heat thoroughly. Carefully pour into sterilized jars, leaving about 1/2 inch head space before sealing. Place jars in a water bath canner that is almost at boiling. Bring to a rolling boil and process pints 20 minutes or quarts 25 minutes. Remove and cool.

Finished Applesauce





No comments:

Post a Comment