Saturday, October 10, 2015

Mourning Doves

Mourning Doves are so common that it's easy to not give them much notice. Although, if you do, you will actually find that they are fascinating birds.


I love the way that they seek high places, in a tree, on a utility wire or atop a roof. It is as if they are keeping watch over their territory.  This summer was the first time I had observed a couple fledglings. They were taking shelter in a forsythia bush and did not mind my close proximity. When young, they do not have the smooth iridescent feathers of the adult, probably so they can stay somewhat camouflaged. In more southerly locations, they can have up to six broods a year.


They will frequent bird feeders, eating the seeds that have fallen to the ground. I startled a pair this week when I went to fill the feeder as I think they may have been sleeping under a nearby bush. A few weeks ago, this dove provided a nice addition to our landscape and could have easily been mistaken for a statue.


I will miss these birds and their soulful "whooo whoo who" call, which is sometimes mistaken for an owl, as they will be gradually migrating south over the next couple of months. Although some may stay north if they have an adequate food supply, we typically do not see them at our feeders during the winter months.

No comments:

Post a Comment