Sunday, October 9, 2016

Bees and Wasps

I was stung twice this summer. In neither instance did I actually see the culprit. The first time I was in the garden and brushed up against a plant that was being enjoyed by numerous bees. This I figured was my fault as I should have been more cautious and given the bees some more room. I am typically of the mindset that if you don't bother bees, they won't bother you. I love to hear and watch them in the garden and always feel good knowing that my garden and the bees are benefiting each other. I know now that I also need to respect their space.

Bumble bee covered in pollen from squash flower
The second incident occurred in late summer. I was stung a couple times with no warning while I was filling up the bird bath. I never saw the attacker(s), but suspect I probably disturbed some wasps which can be quite aggressive. Perhaps because of the drought we have been experiencing, they were drawn to the water in the bird bath. Being stung hurts, and I typically experience pain and swelling for several days afterwards. I didn't see a swarm so I will just need to be more aware of my surroundings. Since both the bees and wasps are beneficial either as a pollinator or a predator of garden pests, I want to share our yard with them.   

Have you ever seen a large pear shaped object hanging from a tree and wondered what it was? If it looked like the photo below, it was a nest made by baldfaced hornets.The nest below was clearly visible during mid-summer, but you can more easily spot them in the fall after the leaves are gone. .



There is no need to be concerned if you have a nest in your yard as they again provide a valuable role by consuming pests, even other wasps. A new nest is made each year with the help of the colony of several hundred. The wasp mixes its saliva with dead plants, wood or paper to form the nesting material. The nests can reach a size of two feet by the end of summer. As the temperature drops, most of the colony will die, except for fertilized queens which will find protected areas, such as an old tree stump, to spend the winter. 

During the winter, you may find nests on the ground, like this one below.


A look at the cells on the inside of this baldfaced hornet's nest
Some people even collect them to use as decorations. I chose to just admire them from a distance.

1 comment:

  1. I'm terrified of them- but the inside of their nests look pretty!

    ReplyDelete