Monday, July 23, 2018

Pollinators and Other Bugs Love Milkweed

You probably know that Monarchs depend on milkweed to lay their eggs as this plant is the sole food of their larvae. However, in spite of milkweed plants growing prolifically throughout our property, I have not seen any evidence that a Monarch has deposited an egg on them. Last year, I did find one monarch caterpillar (see July 4, 2017 post.) This yea, I have noticed  many other insects benefiting from this plant. There is a large milkweed patch growing next to our compost bin This is a perfect spot since it attracts pollinators which also visit the adjacent vegetable garden. The most common butterfly in our garden this year has been the Tiger Swallowtail.

An abundance of milkweed and Tiger Swallowtails next to our compost bin

On the same day that at least a dozen Tiger Swallowtails appeared, I also saw a Monarch and a Black Swallowtail, but they didn't stay long and were so quick that I wasn't able to take a photo.  The Tiger Swallowtails were not shy and didn't mind being photographed.

When I looked closer, I saw other pollinators, like this Skipper.

Skipper on milkweed
There were also numerous bees. Both honey and bumble bees are attracted to the nectar of the flowers. I was surprised to read that a bee's leg can become trapped in the blossoms, which can sometimes be fatal.

Honey bee


Bumble bee


Many beetles enjoy the  leave of the plants. I tend not to worry about the damage caused from these pests since the plants spread rapidly - like a weed!

Red Milkweed Beetle
I am happy that such a variety of insects are able to benefit from the milkweed plants in our yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment