Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Reading List for 2019



The Christmas decorations have been put away, so now, it's time to look ahead and plan for 2019. A common New Year's resolution  is to "set aside time to read more." Although I don't officially make New Year's resolutions, I do want to read more and I will be happy if I can get through the stack of books that is currently on my night stand. The above picture shows what I hope to read in the months ahead. Some I have been meaning to get to for some time, others were gifts, and a couple were picked up at used book stores this past year. Here are the three books which I aim to read first.

I have already started The Town that Food Saved by Ben Hewitt, 2010. This book tells how local agriculture transformed the northern Vermont town called Hardwick. I'm excited to learn about this story and to then follow-up with a visit to this community.

The Hucksters by Federic Wakeman, 1946. As an old movie buff, particularly Clark Gable and Cary Grant movies, I love searching book and antique stores for memorabilia. The Hucksters is a 1947 movie with Clark Gable and Deborah Kerr, so I am excited to read the book upon which this classic film is based.

The Habit of Turning the World Upside Down by Howard Mansfield, 2018. This book was given to me as a Christmas gift and I look forward to reading about property rights and how those rights can be challenged by those who happen to have more money and consequently hold more power.

The days have already started to get longer, and this week begins the shift toward earlier sunrises. But for the next couple of months ahead, I'm going to enjoy the cold and darkness by curling up on the couch with a few good books. 


No comments:

Post a Comment