Saturday, November 1, 2014

Blueberry Mountain - Benton, New Hampshire


The day started out overcast and drizzly... but by the time I got to the trail head there were patches of blue sky. These came and went throughout the day.  I traveled the Blueberry Mountain Trail from the western approach, parking on Blueberry Mountain Road. The other option that is available is to enter from the East starting at Long Pond Road. This can be done as a traverse.





After about a half mile along a logging road, the trail continues on another road that is clearly marked beyond these boulders on the right. The hike continues for some distance along a road and I began to wonder if I had missed the actual trail.  But, after about 1.3 miles the trail narrows, becomes more wooded and begins to gain elevation.

To the right were extensive open areas as a result of recent logging operations. Although unsightly in this picture, it doesn't really impact this hike.




Not knowing what I would find along the trail, I came prepared with extra water and a bowl. This was not needed as there was plenty of water to drink along the trail for my dog Gus.

No flowers or mushrooms, but there was an abundance of moss growing in the woods, in a variety of colors. Some bright green, some rusty red and others a pale blue-grey.
(left) These small green plants have always reminded me of tiny evergreen trees. I am pretty sure they are lycopodium dendroideum, also known as tree groundpine according to the USDA's Plant Profile webpage.

As I approached the summit, the slopes were covered with bushes for which this mountain is named. I was surprised to see so many berries still clinging to the branches and wonder why birds or other mammals haven't picked the bushes clean.

Gus was happy that they were just the right height for a quick snack.

Little surprises along the trail kept it interesting. I followed the sound of running water and came across a nice waterfall.

There is no question as to why this Peak is part of the "52 With a View". It was a bit too chilly to sit at the top and enjoy the view so I'll have to return on a warmer day. All in all, an easy and enjoyable hike.


3 comments:

  1. Great to see Gus getting out there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He gets so excited now when he sees me with the backpack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a nice hike! Beautiful view from the top!

    ReplyDelete