Sunday, March 20, 2016

2016 Boston Flower and Garden Show

Spring Tulips from the Boston Flower and Garden Show

Happy Spring Equinox. 2016 is the earliest spring since 1896 (note: you can check the exact time that the equinox occurred at your location here http://www.timeanddate.com.) Even though temperatures have dipped and a nor'easter is expected to hit New England later today, we have been experiencing spring-like weather for several weeks already. I was in Washington D.C. this past week, and even though I didn't make it down to the Tidal Basin to see the cherry blossoms, I did see a few signs of plants waking up from their winter slumber.
 
Daffodils

Roman Hyacinth
Magnolia

Pansies
Since it will be a few more weeks until we see flowers in our own yard, I was looking forward to attending the Boston Flower and Garden Show on Saturday.


The show which is put on by the Massachusetts Horticulture Society is held at the Seaport World Trade Center on Boston Harbor which is actively used by both fishing vessels and recreational boats. It was a crisp and clear day outside.


 
This was my first time attending this show and once inside, I was overwhelmed by the size and detail of some of the displays. My friend Heidi and I had no trouble finding enough to see and do to fill up the entire day. From simple youth exhibits to serious competitors in Flora Design there were so many things to photograph and admire.


There were demonstrations going on throughout the day. At noon time it felt good to take a break by watching Chef Raymond Ost of Wilson Farm, Lexington. We learned how to prepare a fresh kale salad and were able to taste the final product, along with a mushroom risotto dish that was made during an earlier presentation. They were both delicious and I ended up purchasing The Wilson Farm Country Cookbook. I can't wait to try some of the recipes later this summer by using fresh garden produce.
Chef Ost demonstrates how to roll, chop and season kale to make it tender.
In addition to the horticulture displays and educational presentations, there were close to two hundred vendors selling food, books, lotions, crafts, seeds, and tools and services. My friend commented how the vendors had taken over the show and that the flower and plant exhibits were lacking compared to years past. Having never been before, I still enjoyed myself, finding plenty of exhibits that interested me. I even left with a couple new books as well as a few packets of seed.

Flower and garden shows are great any time of year, but are particularly enticing in March when the months of winter are just behind us and we can start to feel that planting season is within our grasp.
But, until the ground completely thaws and dries out here in New England, one can only imagine and dream about what is to come.

My favorite display was this naturalist's table that invites one to pause and take notice of nature around you.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment