Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Dreaming of Seeds

Seed packets and a few of my favorite catalogs


WINTER LUXURY PIE PUMPKIN (HEIRLOOM) - Pinetree Garden Seeds - Vegetables
Winter Luxury Pumpkin
Beginning in January, the seed catalogs start arriving, which is great, because it provides plenty of opportunity to dream. The problem is, with such a small garden, I am unable to order from all the catalogs I would like. Each catalog is unique and are fun to peruse like a favorite magazine. This year, I already got a head start on my purchases, through pre-season sales, the NOFA conference and, most recently, the Boston Flower and Garden Show. A couple vendors focused mainly on heirloom varieties, including the Hudson Valley Seed Library and another, Fruition Seeds was strictly organic.  I made sure that I had room to still purchase a variety of my seeds from my go-to seed supply source, Pinetree Garden Seeds. I like them because they are regionally based out of Maine; they grow and test many of their seeds; they have a good selection of heirloom and organic seeds; and their smaller packet size are reasonably priced and are perfect for the backyard gardener. They have also recently started selling ground herbs and teas and have expanded their catalog to include supplies for making soaps and cosmetics.

Every year I say I'm going to be better organized, plot out the garden, and order my seeds early. Well, here it is approaching the end of March and as usually, the early plot-planning is going to have to wait. Before ordering, I do try to take an inventory of any seeds I may have collected from the prior year or have left over from purchases within the last couple of years. I also try and skim my journal from last year and not re-order varieties that did not do well. Finally, I must try at least a couple new varieties; and this year that includes an heirloom "Winter Luxury Pumpkin" and a perennial Maximillian sunflower. I can't wait to get planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment