Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Is This a Hazardous Waste Cleanup?

No, just getting ready to tackle the poison ivy!

In spite of my best efforts, I still got a rash on both arms, due to a breakthrough in one of the arms and difficulty getting the suit and gloves off! Next time, the duct tape around my wrists will be applied loosely. However, the contact was minimal and the rash is minor. I bought this Tyvek suit and neoprene gloves for around $10 at Ocean State Job Lot - well worth the cost.

Unfortunately, although I removed most of the visible vines in my planting bed, I could not get all of the poison ivy since it has spread prolifically into the woods. It seems to have really taken off in the past few years.  Where previously there was only a small patch that was easy to avoid, except perhaps when retrieving a soccer or basketball that had rolled into the area, it has recently expanded both into the woods and our lawn. I just read an article in the Concord Monitor which provides one explanation for this apparent increase in abundance of this noxious weed.    "My Turn: Poison ivy grabbing more and more territory in NH"

No comments:

Post a Comment