Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Hiking the Long Trail

Last year, my college son and I set a goal that we would hike the entire length of the Long Trail (in sections). I love to hike and have completed the 48 - four thousand footers in New Hampshire and Vermont, and am working on completing that list in Maine. Although I admire true long distance thru-hikers, like those that complete the entire length of the 2,181 mile Appalachian Trail (AT) in one trip, I know that it is not something that I could realistically accomplish. However, at just over 270 miles, the Long Trail seems like an achievable goal for me, that is, if done in sections. This past weekend, we hiked ten miles in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom from Hazen's Notch to Eden Crossing. One of my favorite parts of hiking is seeing the variety of plants that grow during different seasons and at different elevations. They thrive without fertilizer or chemicals of any kind. So many different types of plants just naturally grow together - none taking over the other, but instead co-existing and even benefiting by what the other plants can offer (e.g. shade, nutrients, etc.). I was surprised and disturbed when we came across some Giant Hogwood near a stream. This plant is unmistakable as an invasive due to its large size.It looks like giant Queen Anne's Lace. I had never seen this plant before and knew nothing about it until researching afterwards. I am glad I did not touch it as it is extremely toxic. Its sap can cause serious skin damage when exposed to the sun and can lead to blindness if it gets in your eyes. Wikipedia provides a good overview Heracleum mantegazzianum. In a nut-shell stay clear and report it to your state or local environmental agency.

I am a slow hiker partly because of the frequent stops I make to take snapshots. I encourage you to to share or confirm the identity of any of these plants. 
a. Shamrock shaped plant with white and pink flowers

b. Star flower?

c. Very common shade-loving plant

d. Yellow Clintonia?


e. Sun-loving plant between rocks


f. Ferns and moss

g. Diversity in nature

h. A fritillary enjoying a rest

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could help you out with these! Great pictures though :)

    ReplyDelete