Monday, July 14, 2014

Strawberry Plant Fungus - Red Stele

I have grown strawberries for years and although I have never had a stellar crop, the plants always survived and seemed healthy. Unfortunately, last summer I noticed that my plants were dying one by one.  I didn't think much of it at first, but by the end of the season, my entire patch was almost completed destroyed. A little research revealed that the plants were most likely impacted by Red Stele disease from the soil-borne fungus Phytophthora fragariae. The disease is typically introduced by infected plants. To refresh my plot, I had bought some new plants the prior year. I suspect that this is when the disease started. The oospores reside in the roots of infected plants. The oospores form small zoospores, which travel in well saturated soil  and then infect other plants. The poorly drained soil of my strawberry patch was a prime environment for the fungus to spread. I now know to only by plants from a reputable source and to look for varieties that are resistant to the disease. If I do decide to purchase plants next year, I will be planting them in a separate, dryer garden area since the disease can remain in the soil for several years, waiting to infect new plants.



Plants after succumbing to red stele



No comments:

Post a Comment