Thursday, September 25, 2014

Fairy Moths

The other morning, while walking our dog, I came to the end of the street and was greeted by hundreds of white moths fluttering amongst the tall grasses in the field. They reminded me of fairies. Maybe it was the early morning mist, but I was captivated watching them. Timing is everything, as I have only seen a handful of these moths at a time since. I feel blessed to have witnessed this scene.

Contrary to the title of this post, they are not actually "fairy" moths (which do in fact exist), but chain-spotted geometers. They are typically seen from August to October.
Individually, they may not look like much, but hundreds flying in the air and then stopping to rest had a magical appearance.



Unfortunately I was not able to upload the video so you will need to use a little imagination




1 comment:

  1. That sounds very nice! Nature is amazing.

    ReplyDelete