Thursday, September 4, 2014

Late Summer Planting and Preserving

Labor Day for many means the end of summer, but this does not have to mean that the gardening season is over. With proper planning September can bring the beginning of a new crop of vegetables. A couple weeks ago, I took the opportunity to clear out a few rows of plants that were past their prime and laid down seeds of radishes, lettuce and mixed greens. With climate change, there is no question that the growing season is getting longer in New England. Therefore, I planted a second planting of green beans in the beginning August; so, now that my first crop is waning, the second crop is just starting to flower, and if a frost holds off, I should have the first pickings soon. Planting in late summer has its advantages over spring. Since the soil is already warm, the seeds will germinate more quickly; and since many annual weeds have already germinated, there will be fewer weeds to compete with the seedlings.

These new seedlings will be ready to eat in a couple weeks




I continue to harvest lots of vegetables and I just finished my last canning project - a batch of pears from our ancient pear tree. The pear tree was part of an orchard that existed before our house was built. I don't know how old it is or what kind of pears it bears, but the fruit is very sweet and resembles a Bartlett. Although the tree has lost most of its branches from wind and storms, it continues to produce fruit year after year, much to everyone's delight.

Ye Olde Pear Tree. Photo Credit: Lee Miller


No comments:

Post a Comment